Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Sly Fox and The Little Red Hen (Retold)

I am a cute little red hen who lived alone in a little house in the woods. The other animals used to call me a Little Red Hen. However, nowadays they call me a wise and brave red hen. All the animals respect me and always asking for advice. I had gained the attention due to one incident. Now, let me tell you about it….

“What a beautiful day! The sun shines brightly. The flowers dance gracefully. Never have I felt so gaily before. A good day to look for firewood. I want to cook a nice lunch today. Oh! Better watch out for that mean fox and its mother. Always trying to catch me for their meal. Hate them. However, why I have to think about them? Why I have to worry? They would never get me. Never!” Happy with the thought, I came out of my little house. I sang merrily while gathering the woods. Then I carried them inside the house. I planned to cook a delicious onion soup for my lunch. Got the recipe from my great grandma. And suddenly…I saw a shadow of something looming high at the wall. Something that made me jumped and shuddered.
“Oh, no! There he is, behind the door…..the ugly mean fox. Better run….no…no…better fly!” I was so frightened but I managed to fly up to a high beam. “Ha…ha..ha! You cannot catch me, stupid fox! Go home. Better, watch TV than wasting time on me.” The fox looked so murderous. Then he did something weird….kept chasing his tail. “What are you doing crazy fox…losing your tail?” I was so amazed with his action so I kept staring at him. The next thing I knew, everything went dark.

I woke up later and realized that I had been captured. Trapped inside a foul smelling sack, I tried to escape. I kicked and scratched with all my might. “Let me out! Let me out! Let ME OUT!!! Help! Help!” I cried for help but no one came. I felt so scared and started to cry. After a while, I felt tired and helpless. Therefore, I kept quiet and started to pray that I would not end up as a grilled or chicken soup. Then I noticed that I was not swaying anymore, the fox had stopped moving. I waited for a while. Then, I crept quietly out from the sack. The fox was sleeping. At first, I thought of running away as fast as I could. Then I thought of taking revenge. I picked up some big stones and put them into the sack. What a nice substitutes. “Enjoy your scrumptious meal Mr. Fox. O.k. See you. Bye! Bye!” The fox was sleeping so soundly, so he couldn’t hear those whispers. I ran back home and shut the door tightly. I never opened it until my neighbour, Miss Tweety who liked to gossip came and told me that the fox and its mother had died. Both were killed by boiling water. I was so relieved. I told her then about the incident that had happened to me. She then mixed and matched the stories and came out with her own conclusion and started telling all the other animals that I the Little Red Hen had killed the fox and his mother.

(Story retold by my wife Norazlina Binti Jaafar as part of her assignment Language In Literature, UPM undergraduate and is graduating soon.)

No comments: